NEBRASKA (May 5, 2015) Each year, May is designated National Foster Care Month to recognize and celebrate the role each of us plays in the lives of children and youth in foster care. Nebraska Children’s Home Society (NCHS) invites the community to help in our endeavor to provide safe and loving care to children of all ages and raise awareness of the need for foster families.
Here are a few ideas on how to raise awareness and celebrate National Foster Care Month:
- Consider becoming a foster parent. • Sign up for a training, support group or class. Visit www.RightTurnNE.org
- Bring a foster family dinner tonight.
- Create a craft with a child that celebrates their heritage.
- Plant a tree in honor of a child looking for permanency. Recognize a person or organization supporting foster youth in your community by writing a letter to the editor of your local newspaper in praise of someone making a difference in the life of a child in foster care.
- Raise awareness through presentations to your faith-based congregation, civic group, PTA or other neighborhood associations. Encourage your community to come together to identify families and resources that help young people in foster care thrive.
- Get educated. Check out a book from your local library and learn more about foster care or browse the resources listed on our website, www.nchs.org.