Job Classification (Exempt or Non-exempt): Non-Exempt
Reports To: Foster Care Supervisor
Job Summary: Responsible for the intake, acceptance and placement of children into the foster care program. Responsible for regular contact with referral source, providing them with updated progress, input and coordination on service planning for children. Facilitates licensing activities for foster, adoptive, and kinship families. Supports the mission ideals of NCHS by performing citizenship duties and community relations responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the intake, acceptance, placement and service planning of children in foster care and provides support to their foster, adoptive, or kinship parents including:
- Responding to correspondence, telephone calls and other inquiries from foster care clients and/or family members in prompt, caring and understanding manner;
- Obtaining the proper legal authority to do so in an appropriate foster, adoptive, or kinship home, remaining in regular contact with referral source, and providing them with updated information;
- Conducting supervisory visits with the children and foster, adoptive, and kinship families within NCHS guidelines, documenting identified needs, services and progress;
- Development of a service plan, organizes and facilitates case reviews with participants of children’s cases on regular basis, provides input on provision and coordination of services;
- Arranges and/or monitors services provided to children;
- Provides routine support to foster parents, including coaching and skill building, and resources;
- Organizes and facilitates networking opportunities for foster parents;
- Conducts investigation of allegations made against the foster parents when requested by Nebraska Health and Human Services;
- Adheres to confidentiality requirements
- Provides appropriate, positive and safe homes to foster children by:
- Participation in recruitment efforts of foster, adoptive and kinship families that meet the needs of the NCHS foster care program;
- Conducting home studies to determine potential licensing for prospective foster, adoptive, and kinship families;
- Facilitating licensing of appropriate families;
- Providing orientation of NCHS Foster Care services to new families;
- Monitoring and documenting compliance with required educational hours, and providing training opportunities;
Supplemental Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Foster Care Supervisor and Resource Development Supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum experience and education:
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, counseling or other related human services field is required.
- Five (5) years of experience in foster care with working knowledge of the juvenile court system and health and human services preferred;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Necessary knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of the foster care system and related issues.
- Ability to manage a high volume caseload with multiple demands.
- Ability to follow regulations and procedures.
- Ability to read, discern and interpret information given by foster care clients.
- Ability to asses family situations objectively and with cultural awareness.
- Ability to observe situations with sensitivity and objectivity.
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills, with willingness to learn and utilize NCHS software and hardware systems.
- Ability to work independently, self-manage and work toward goal achievement.
- Physical demands-Regularly required to speak and hear, walk, climb, sit, use hands and fingers to operate, handle or feel objects and equipment. Manual lifting requirements are medium. Able to operate a licensed vehicle for travel and possible transportation of clients. Must possess a valid driver’s license with no more than three points against the license.
- Work requirements-Location of this position is in Omaha, NE. Much of the work will be in an office environment, but local travel will be required. Incumbent must be able to adjust his/her work schedule to accommodate the needs of clients, including possible evening and weekends.
Note: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of those that will be encountered by a person performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions
Please contact Michelle Moline, Director of Foster Care & Pathways to Permanency, at firstname.lastname@example.org 402.451.0787 or 11926 Arbor Street Omaha NE 68144.
Please send resume and cover letter to Nebraska Children’s Home Society, 4939 S 118th Street, Omaha NE 68137, Attn: Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com